BBC Watchdog: Room for (Anglian) improvements?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Anglian Home Improvements were the proud sponsors of this year's Ideal Home Show which was a 17 day extravaganza attracting thousands of spectators. It was packed with celebs, exhibitions and live demonstrations. It showcased the best of everything - from furnishings, to kitchens, to bathrooms, conservatories and gardens. They also sponsor drama on ITV3. Its own dramas? You couldn't make them up.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

(Do you have something to say about this story? Tell us what you think by emailing us here. Don't forget to include 'Anglian' in the subject line. Watchdog will publish a selection of viewers' comments underneath each story, both throughout and after the programme is on air. Please remember to include your name as you would like to see it published).

If you want to know more about a company, read their website. According to Anglian's they're the UK's Number One supplier of high quality home improvements. Their service is second to none, their quality unbeatable and their attention to detail 'truly impressive'. And, with over 40 years in the game, they're still 'raising the standard'.

With such a build up we couldn't wait to see some of their work. And neither could Barry - he's had nearly 40 years experience in the game, his attention to detail is truly impressive and, as a Chartered Surveyor, he likes to think he's raising the standard too.

Let's see what he'll make of Chris Hawthorn's conservatory. Anglian built and installed it four years ago at a cost of £14,000 but the result was far from ideal. Chris told Watchdog: "I first noticed that the conservatory was moving away from the house. The ridge had dropped by about 3 or 4 inches. We had specifically discussed at the design stage whether they would fit a tie bar and I was reassured that no tie bar would be required. I went on to measure the footing depth and this showed that the concrete was dug down to a depth of about 300mm and this is totally not what we had agreed." So, Chris wasn't impressed, but what about Barry? Barry told us: "This is structurally unstable. We need a minimum of a tie bar across the roof. What makes matters worse is that the foundation is totally inadequate. 300mm is simply not deep enough. We've got shrinkable clay subsoil which moves with the seasons, we need a minimum of a metre depth. So we have a serious structural problem with this conservatory".

Anglian have now agreed to take the structure down, install a tie-bar and reinforce the foundations. But only after months of complaints and persuasion from Chris, who said: "Really I just wish they'd built it properly in the first place."

We introduced Barry to the problems faced by some more Anglian customers. Remember the company's famous 'impressive attention to detail'? Well, for Audrey Howie's £20,000 conservatory, Anglian borrowed a manky old fence post from her garden to build it. Barry told us: "This is shocking. They've used an old piece of timber as an infill which will decay and leave a void and leave it structurally unsound." Anglian have since replaced the post. But Jane Coster's problems with the company have been going on for over two years. Leaking doors and poor plasterwork weren't really what she expected when she invited them in to her home. Barry told us: "You know this is a poor installation. It simply shouldn't leak. They've offered Jane additional work at reduced cost but if I were Jane I would be very wary about accepting it."

Not much sign of Anglian's unbeatable quality there then. But what about one of their products which - they claim - is also the best on the market. Anglian's energy-saving thermal-efficient windows...

They belong to Jo Poole, who bought them from Anglian in April 2009 at a cost of £2,878. Anglian promise to make their windows as 'individual as you are'. But Jo's simply didn't fit. Jo told Watchdog: "Anglian said there was nothing wrong with the windows but they actually move in the wind, at high winds the sound is ear splitting. They are just not safe to open. They are dangerous". Barry saw the windows and said: "I'm really concerned about this window arrangement. The whole window flexes to a point where rain will come in when the wind blows. And we've got another really, really serious problem. If we open the window, it is completely unrestricted, it can be opened to its fullest extent so that someone can easily fall out. They should have shown more professionalism in providing a design to suit the circumstances." Jo added: "Anglian say they are going to repair the windows. Am I going to be able to trust that? I don't really have a lot of faith with Anglian anymore."

Barry told us what he thought of the work he'd seen so far: "Well, I think it's all pretty shocking really. They demonstrate a complete lack of care, poor workmanship, not something that I would expect in this trade."

We also met Fran Heaton whose conservatory was built in July 2008 at a cost of £22,000. Fran told us about the problems she's had with it: "The roof is lower than the bar so the door doesn't open, the roof has leaked quite a lot and also the plasterwork which was redone is now all coming away. There are damp patches around the electricity sockets as well which is obviously quite dangerous." Despite the fact Anglian came to patch up some of the work - the problems have continued. Fran added: "Just over a year ago I actually just gave up completely. I just resigned myself to the fact that this is what I've got, a very expensive conservatory that just doesn't get used at all." Barry inspected the conservatory and told us: "Well it's a really shoddy structure. The conservatory's pulling away from the original building, the base is unstable and the whole thing just needs to be taken down and start again. This is negligent on the part of Anglian Home Improvements and I'm appalled by the quality."

Appalled by the quality of what you've seen? So are we Barry... and so are the customers we've met. So what about Anglian themselves?

Anglian Home Improvements response:

Quality and Customer service are incredibly important to us and we would like to whole-heartedly apologise to any customers we have disappointed.

We currently have nearly 50,000 conservatories and over 400,000 window and door installations under guarantee across the UK and we honour each and every one of the commitments to those customers.

We have fought hard for our strong reputation for Service and we continue to invest in it to ensure our customers receive the best possible Customer Care. We have clearly failed to do this with those customers you have featured on your programme this evening. We would like to stress however that prior to your notification of the issues we were already in the process of addressing the four cases we were aware of and are now in the process of addressing the fifth which you have brought to our attention. As each case is within the ten year guarantee period we will rectify any issues they have as we have always done throughout our 45 year history.

Any customer wishing to contact us regarding their Anglian Home Improvement can call us on 0800 500 600. Lines are open tonight until 10 pm, alternatively please email customerservices@angliangroup.com

(Issued 26th April 2011)

Watchdog Viewer Responses:

We had new windows and doors by anglian in January 2006. We had a number of issues with their work - numerous broken tiles, broken windowsills, windows not locking/unlocking correctly the list goes on - and we are still to this day waiting for a customer service call back.
I would never have Anglian to clean my windows let alone fit any others.

Claire, Cornwall

Anglian replaced our windows and doors several years ago and we had nothing but problems! We had to call them out on 3 seperate occasions so that they could fix mistakes they'd made. Windows wouldn't shut, and neither would the back door! They only came to resolve things when we complained to them formally.

Many years on and we've still got problems! A couple of our windows don't close properly any more and now our back door seems to be coming away! It seems like they've not improved! The fact that they have the audacity to say their quality is unbeatable and service second to none is laughable!

Laura Wallett

Room for (Anglian) improvements?

Spikeshouse

May 6, 2014
We had a marvellous experience of Anglian Windows 20 years ago and on that basis called them in to our new house - big mistake and how I wish I'd known of this forum first! The first team of two bashed seven bells out of the house, broke roofing tiles, broke one of the new windows, the almost 'finished' result appalling. A new team turfed up to put things right. They did a good job and luckily for us found the new bay window wouldn't fit so that went back. We waited. It rained. New windows leaked.

The Management never, ever ring. Never talk to us. The CEO - stands in Anglian's case for Clear Everything Off ..... not interested.

We currently wait for the bay window, nicely fitted now, to have one of the sashes corrected to fit square instead of vaguely leaning down on one side like a stroke victim. Oh Happy Day.

alanbirkscaemawr

Jun 3, 2014
We've just had a manager from Anglian Home Improvements here, measuring up for a new roof on our existing sun lounge. Again!! Sadly this has been going on now for over 7 months, during which time they've never once managed to stop water pouring through every joint and seam. And that's after two major rebuilds. We've made a temporary repair using copious amounts of flashband and duct tape so that we can at least make use of it during the sunny weather. So how hard can it be for the "professionals"? Well they've got one last chance to sort it out, after which we will be seeing them in the county court. It will no doubt make even more money for the legal profession but sometimes there's no alternative. Apparently Anglian have a corporate motto: "Do The Right Thing". It's a pity that their managers don't seem to know the difference between having a slogan and living by it. We'll see.

Spikeshouse

May 6, 2014
We have, over the past year, spent around £15000 with Anglian HI. The problems continue with our latest windows installation, and we are still waiting for the spring to be replaced in the bay window. A maintenance man came along complaining it was a fitter's job and he could do nothing; 2 weeks later we were told the window was definitely going to be fixed by 2 fitters but lo and behold one of them was the same maintenance man who had no clue the first time. Between them they took the window to pieces and discovered that we needed the new spring the original fitters supposedly ordered weeks previously. I have taken to emailing the CEO but have never had a direct response. The latest response was that 'someone' would be calling me. My guess is that we are the hot potato that is being rapidly passed around for some unlucky soul to have to ring us.

Oh, we have had two telephone calls asking us to assess/comment on the service we have received. I doubt they'll call again.

apanui

Jul 8, 2014
Be VERY VERY afraid of dealing with Anglian H I
a)We were approached by a cold call agent who asked us if we would be interested in having an Anglian salesman come round to give us a quote on replacing our rear and front doors
b)The salesman came round and we agreed on a configuration which was detailed in their catalogue ,we made it quite clear to the salesman that we were going overseas on holiday and that time and completion were of the essence.The salesman said that it was not a problem as it was about a month that they had to deliver and install.He did say that the initial pre order would have to be firmed up with a surveyor who would come and verify the details as well as whether it was possible for Anglian to do the job ,we took this to be a type of suspensive sale agreement
The surveyor arrived about two weeks later ,it is our suspicion that Anglian do this to circumvent the consumer protection laws that permit clients to back out of sales when the company do not perform.The surveyor said that what we wanted was not normal stuff and it would be treated as a bespoke type of installation ,even though we had used their catalogue to choose our doors.We also reminded him that there was a time clause that we had agreed with the salesman this was a clause in the final agreement ,wherein we had to agree to the higher price.
In fact the surveyor said that since we were out of the consumer protection clause if we tried to back out we would lose all the money we had paid in ,not to mention that we would have to pay in additionally up to 80 % as a cancellation penalty ,for Anglian having done nothing but shuffled paper around,we were thus forced to have to agree to the new terms
c)Things then slowed right down and we heard nothing until we received a letter saying that installation was scheduled for TWO WEEKS after we were supposed to have left on holiday.
d)After a heated and stressful argument spanning a couple of days of telephone calls and e-mails we finally had an agreement that installation would be done on the Saturday we were supposed to leave ,in fact we had to reschedule our departure to accommodate this arrangement.
e)We had an e-mail from Anglian confirming that the material had been received and would definitely be ready for installation
f)The installation team arrived the next day ,......TWO HOURS LATER than the agreed time and said that they only had half the material,they would install half the door and return at a later date to do the remainder,they actually expected us to go on holiday AND LEAVE OUR HOME OPEN TO THE PUBLIC until they would return when they had the correct parts.
g)We told the team to leave as we were not going to agree to that sort of arrangement
h)We contacted their call centre and said what the problem was ,the call centre said that there was nothing they could do and would contact the branch in the following week

We summonsed Anglian...........NO RESPONSE WE obtained a judgement against Anglian ..........NO RESPONSE We obtained a bailiff order against Anglian ................They applied to have the case started all over so that they could have the case in a superior court to the county court so that they could use expensive solicitors and not be held responsible

As I say deal with Anglian at your peril but be VERY VERY VERY afraid and if you would take a lesson from our experience

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Anglian Windows seems to defy all the claims they make yet continue to be in business. We need to support forums like this one and thank Tony for his contribution that brings this information to the consumer. It has helped us no end! ;)

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
" BAIT & SWITCH or BAIT & SUE"

The BAIT

The Salesman is sent in to bait and close the customer (No commission unless order signed on first visit).

The SWITCH

Now Anglian decides what can be sold and switches the customer using Bully Tactics and the VOC "Variation of Contract".

If the Switch Later Fails

THE SUE

If the sale falls over then Sue the customer for 30% of the SALE.

Mikemontrose

Nov 5, 2015
Oh how familiar in the same position now ... Rep promised drawings as house in a conservation area pics not provided hence planning application declined now they are suing me ....

Unbelievable

Mike

wellfedup

Mar 27, 2016
Oh how familiar in the same position now ... Rep promised drawings as house in a conservation area pics not provided hence planning application declined now they are suing me ....

Unbelievable

Mike
Am in somewhat similar position, has this been resolved ? would like to share experience. We also are caught up with Anglian's legal team and external solicitors. Anglian have no respect or understanding of what customers want , do they.

thanks

fedup11922

Sep 5, 2016
I have had the worst possible service from Anglian Home Improvements. I used them before and thought it would be a good idea to give them my whole job, which included some brickwork as I wanted the size of a new window altered.

However, Anglian has a systematic problem with contract formation. Unlike other small family companies, which will diligently record pages and pages of details in a contract, Anglian's over-eager salesperson (who forms the contract with you and takes your deposit), will record 2-3 lines if you are lucky.

That means that if something is missing when your job is finally done, you have very little to back you up and save yourself. You are at the mercy of Anglian's bully managers and terrible Customer Care. They will tell you it's all your fault for signing the contract. However, they have very little knowledge of legal concepts, and cannot understand that an agreement is an agreement, and legally binding, whether written or not.

This is a genuine systematic problem inside Anglian. If you look at all of their contracts (and a naughty manager or rep reading this will know it is true!), then you will see how they comprise very few lines of detail. So it is wrong of them to try to blame their customers, as this lack of detail is their own doing and method of working.

This is a very bad company with very poor organisation, that essentially benefits itself and not the customer. It has a terrible customer care structure, in fact it lacks a proper customer service structure, and your complaints will be referred back to those you are quarreling with, who will not allow it to pass out of their hands.

The more people who have had bad Anglian experiences, the more they should publish their experiences! Help others please, and warn the public about the work of Anglian!

9 months of hell

Dec 6, 2018
We can see our experience has been very similar to the others on here. Anglian have a systematic response to complaints and that is egocentric, focused on their arrogant belief they really do offer a good service and product. It’s almost a mantra for self preservation. Head office is administration -paper shufflers. Their Installation department are more amenable in our experience but our installation isn’t fully finished yet after nine months. We made a deliberate calculation of our stress and our time wasted through their shoddy service to match our final payment just to get a feel of how realistic and genuine this company is to what they put their customers through and guess what - back came the mantra from Mr J Br and an insulting offer of £250 in compensation. Actually they tell us they don’t do ‘compensation’. So was the offer made ‘in good faith’? Faith is not a word we would assign to this company.

JoHumph

Feb 7, 2021
Anglian were a pushy sell, & I’m cross I believed anything I heard..guaranteed quality work etc. I’d saved long & hard for a new front door & was excited. The moment I saw it before it was even in I knew it was the wrong size. It was badly fitted, they cut my door bell wire & the lock was faulty from the get go. I got locked out so many times as I don’t have access to the back. When I rang & said the door is scraping the floor & I can’t even put a mat there they told me to dig out my floor. They send “engineers” to look & report back. 1 did finally agree it wasn’t ideal to have a door that wasn’t usable so eventually someone came & sawed the bottom off the door, scratching the door in the process. Now it swells, plastic is peeling, it’s got a poor seal against wind & rain. They changed the lock but said it was never meant to have that lock anyway. The beading has dropped off from day 1. I saved hard for this, am an ICU nurse who has little time or energy to keep onto them but the door that was there before was far superior. I need a new door but it’s scary to think if they come back again what more damage they might cause to the house Thank you

wendie

Feb 7, 2021
I think that the customer service is terrible, the number of times I rang up to complain about the condition of the balcony door they fitted. were numberous. They said they would come, make appointments and not turn up. Thhe door still lets water in and draughts and there is no handle on the exterior of the door. They offered to replace the single door to a double door but this would not match the other flats. As for the leaking door they said it was because I live on the sea front and had to put up with highwinds and should expect this from the excess of the weather. This was never mentioned when they sold me the unit. This company should not be allowed to continue treating customers like this/

meg

Feb 7, 2021
I can honestly say that Anglian Home Improvements are the worst company I have ever dealt with. In spite of emails, phone calls and two recorded delivery letters to CEO, they have effectively ignored us. There were failures in surveying ( bay window measured wrongly so ‘ temporary fix’ was made on 30.9.20) manufacturing and communications both within the company and with the customer. Two further attempts have been made to remedy this but the window is still in the same state as it was at end of Sept. There has been no explanation for this delay. We have followed their complaints procedure to the letter but, until I mentioned two staff by name on a Facebook group for Dissatisfied Customers which is 800 strong, no one was engaging with us. On the advice of CAB, we had sent a letter in early January to give them a deadline of 31 January to complete the work. On 28th January, as result of the naming of two staff (only to complain that they never return calls and emails) , I received a threatening letter from their Divisional Customer Service Partner. And on the same day, an email to say installers would be back tomorrow. Why am I feeling nervous about this? Because I have lost all confidence that Anglian will do a good job. As for their Customer Care, they don’t know the meaning of the words! In my experience Customer Care means under promising and over delivering. In the case of Anglian the opposite seems to be the case.

Jan33

May 16, 2021
I need some help dealing with Anglian. I signed a contract for a new conservatory a year ago. They kept delaying and now I’ve decided to move so I don’t need the conservatory anymore. I’ve tried to cancel the contract but they’re threatening to sue me as they claim I’m liable for 1/3rd of the costs. I’ve pointed out that it was them who cancelled but I’m not getting anywhere dealing with them. I can see from posts here and other similar sites that others have been in this situation. Can you please help me with what I can do and my rights in this situation.